2013-01-05

A Simple Dress for a Busty Lady (Volks EB-Beauty type E)

Finally got my first Volks body. Since the old EB model was discontinued and the international site was constantly out of stock on the EB-Beauty model, I was starting to worry I'd never get a hold of one. But, here she is! This is EB-Beauty Type E, the one with the rather large "tracts of land". They just didn't have Barbies like this when I was a kid! :D 

The body came with a head, but it's very anime-looking and not really my taste. It has the pointiest nose I've ever seen. Instead I used a head from a thrift-store find I was planning to rebody. This is Claire - and yes, the eyeprint is more than a bit wonky. She was cheap and I liked her anyway, particularly for the hair color, but she's definitely getting a new face as soon as possible. (She's... a secret agent who is having a bit of a silicone mask failure. Yes, that's it.)

Closeup - skin tone match
Claire and her eyes
 The skin tones don't quite match: the body is a bit more neutral beige, almost grey in comparison. Different parts that are made of different types of plastic have slightly different shades - and of course the vinyl bust part has to be the worst match for the head... Still, I think an Obitsu would be an even worse match. As always it depends largely on the lighting.


 Posing 1 

Due to her generous cup-size no barbie clothes fit her, so I had to make her a dress. I'm trying to be less of a perfectionist and actually get stuff done instead of getting hung up on details, so the hems are simple "up-and-down stitch" and nothing is particularly neat and/or tidy. Took about 2 hours or possibly a bit more, divided on two nights. As usual I think "I'll make a better version later" but I'm not sure that will happen. This will have to do for now.

Posing 2
Behold my glorious photo studio: an old pillowcase in front of the window!
  
I actually had two pairs of shoes that fit her, more or less: a random pair of gold colored ones that are made of some sort of plastic that smells really bad and which I'd rather not use, and this pair of repro Francie shoes. They're a bit too long and too narrow, and of course it's the wrong shade of blue, but it's better than nothing.


 IMAG6880 

The dress sags a bit in the back. Maybe two snaps would have made it fit better, but the waistline is so high that there wasn't room for more than one.
 
Dress 6 
Looks a bit weird when she bends over.
 
Dress 1
The dress in all its glory


Dress 3

Closeup of the messy insides of the dress. The straps (or whatever you would call it) took a lot of tweaking to get the right shape, so there are lots of extra stitches all over the place.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first Volks figure. (I have 2 Who's That Girl Kanas. Her eyes are a little large, but I love her articulation.) May you have as many as it pleases you to have.

    Cute fashion. I'd like to accomplish some sewing for my 1:6 scale folks this year. Sigh. Have to plan it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm definitely considering getting a different model sometime.

      I hardly ever get any sewing done either, but she had to wear *something*! :D

      Delete