2015-06-26

myIDolls

This blog has gone sadly neglected lately, and I can only blame summer. (The internet tells me some traditions count June 20 as the first day of summer, but up here we're officially halfway trough already.)

Anyway, I just remembered I found these dolls on Facebook a while ago that I've been meaning to post about:

Meet myIDolls:

Photo by Jesper Persson (c) myIDolls, used with permission
MyIDolls were conceived by a Swedish mum as an attempt to offer more diversity than Barbie does, in terms of ethnicity, body type and gender expression, among other things. Check out their Facebook page or website (for English version, scroll waaaaay up and then click on the EN link in the right hand corner). They're still on the prototype stage, but you can sign up for updates on the homepage.

(behind a cut for anatomically correct doll nudity, just to be on the safe side)



 If you've been in the hobby for a while this may all sound pretty familiar, but I like the fact the myIDolls takes almost every parameter into account in order to be inclusive. There's also the fact that the myIDolls are more or less anatomically correct, which has resulted in a few clickbaity headlines (and some complaints, apparently). Personally I don't think it should be that big a deal, but still: the truth is this is actually pretty unusual among 1/6 scale playline dolls.

Photo by Jesper Persson (c) myIDolls, used with permission

It's funny, because as a (fat) child I don't remember feeling particularly traumatized by Barbie's unattainable figure - apart from the fact that it made fitting her clothes pretty difficult, that is. However, I always thought Ken's "skin shorts" were absolutely ridiculous, and so did everybody else I knew. And I remember a blog comment I once read from a woman who said she developed a complex for her nipples since her Barbie dolls didn't have any. That's anecdotal of course, but still - it's kind of weird that for all the dolls that have been designed to promote a healthier and more natural body image than Barbie supposedly does, most of them still like to pretend people are born with their butts covered in flower print.

Alright, rant over.

As I said, myIDdolls are still on the prototype stage, so I don't know exactly how the diversity will be realized in the final product. Different heights, weights, numbers of limbs? The photos suggest some kind of blank-ish base doll that can be customized, but that may just be the prototype (although that would be pretty cool). For now they all seem to have the same face mold, which I hope will change. The articulation seems to be gumby-type with some kind of wire skeleton inside soft plastic. Not my personal favorite, but going by the photos the arms seem to bend nice and realistic without looking too noodly. (Oh, and there are a few photos of the molding process on the Facebook page, which is always interesting)

I'm actually pretty excited about these dolls and I really hope they see production soon. As an adult collector I may not be the intended audience, but if you've been following this blog for a while you know I'm always looking for dolls of different body types, and how little of the sort there is among playline dolls. The question is whether it will be economically possible for a startup company to offer such a wide range of dolls, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I'd really like to see how they turn out. (And for once I wouldn't have to pay for shipping from the other side of the world!).


8 comments:

  1. I think they are fantastic! My only thought is I wish they looked happier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They seem intriguing, I'd love to see them produced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These dolls look very interesting. I wonder what price point they will be at? I am all for any kind of diversity in a doll. I will check out the Facebook page. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @the grandmommy Funny, I hadn't thought about that! But I have a soft spot for grumpy-looking dolls, so that might be why.

    @iHime So do I!

    @Phyllis I really hope they manage to keep the price down, but I suspect it might be hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look pretty darn interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting new series.

    Like you, I missed the whole I-am-traumatisized-because-I-am-not-built-like-Barbie bit. Dolls were dolls. I was not supposed to look like them. They were vehicles for my storytelling.

    But body image stuff aside, I like new dolls. Cheers for doll variety.

    Anatomically correct dolls do not offend me - I'll never run from a room and cry that those anatomically correct dolls are "getting it on." Dolls, remember. On the other hand, I have no interest in having that much detail. Dolls.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look interesting. I don't know how successful they will be as a playline doll I've noticed that even though people complain about Barbie being unrealistic, they don't really want their children playing with dolls that look like real anatomically correct adults.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Muff I agree!
    @D7ana Those are good points from both sides - either way I think there's definitely room for at least one doll line like this. In the end, I'm mostly excited about the prospect of new types of doll bodies.
    @Carrickters I think there are many reasons an "alternative" doll might not sell in the end, like higher prices and smaller distribution. I'm curious to see how the finished product will be received.

    ReplyDelete